Sunday, January 28, 2007

Favorite Poety

Biker's Code

I ride purely, and only, because it is fun. I ride because I enjoy the
freedom I feel from being exposed to the elements, and the vulnerability
to the danger that is intrinsic to riding. I do not ride because it is
fashionable to do so. I ride my machine, not wear it. My machine is not
a symbol of status. It exists simply for me, and me alone. My machine is
not a toy. It is an extension of my being, and I will treat it
accordingly, with the same respect as I have for myself. I strive to
understand the inner-workings of my machine, from the most basic to the
most complex. I will learn everything I can about my machine, so that I
am reliant upon no one but myself for its health and well-being. I
strive to constantly better my skill of control over my machine. I will
learn its limits, and use my skill to become one with my machine so that
we may keep each other alive. I am the master, it is the servant.
Working together in harmony, we will become an invincible team. I do not
fear death. I will, however, do all possible to avoid death prematurely.
Fear is the enemy, not death. Fear on the highway leads to death,
therefore I will not let fear be my master. I will master it. My
machines will outlive me. Therefore, they are my legacy. I will care for
them for future bikers to cherish as I have cherished them, whoever they
may be. I do not ride to gain attention, respect, or fear from those
that do NOT ride, nor do I wish to intimidate or annoy them. For those
that do not know me, all I wish from them is to ignore me. For those
that desire to know me, I will share with them the truth of myself, so
that they might understand me and not fear others like me. I will never
be the aggressor on the highway. However, should others mess with me,
their aggression will be dealt with in as severe a manner as I can cast
upon them. I will show respect to other bikers more experienced or
knowledgeable than I am. I will learn from them all I can. I will not
show disrespect to other bikers less experienced or knowledgeable than I
am. I will teach them what I can. It will be my task to mentor new
riders, that so desire, into the lifestyle of the biker, so that the
breed shall continue. I shall instruct them, as I have been instructed
by those before me. I shall preserve and honor traditions of bikers
before me, and I will pass them on unaltered. I will not judge other
bikers on their choice of machine, their appearance, or their
profession. I will judge them only on their conduct as bikers. I am
proud of my accomplishments as a biker, though I will not flaunt them to
others. If they ask,I will share them. I will stand ready to help any
other biker that truly needs my help. I will never ask another biker to
do for me what I can do for myself. I am not a part-time biker. I am a
biker when, and where ever I go. I am proud to be a biker, and I hide my
chosen lifestyle from no one. I ride because I love freedom,
independence, and the movement of the ground beneath me. But most of
all, I ride to better understand myself, my machine, the lands in which
I ride, and to seek out and know other bikers like myself.

Author
Unknown-

2 comments:

Noel said...

First of all I would like to begin my comment by saying that it is probably, now, one of my favorite poems because it has so much meaning to it that I can not only see the poem connect to you, but also to me. Let me explain. The way I see this poem connecting to you is your passion to ride. I can definitely see your voice reflected by the words of the poem. It’s unique how it can be interpreted as a car or motorcycle rider, but it can also be broken down as a person fighting for their freedom. I’m pretty sure you saw the same as I did, if not, it is something that I find inspirational about the poem. The poem mention about not only being a top notch rider, but making it possible for others to be extraordinary riders like themselves. The way I saw this connect to life or my philosophy is because I am determined to be successful in life, but I don’t only want to shine by myself, I want to spread it and allow other shine also. In other words I don’t want to become successful and keep it to myself; I want to carry others like me to the top also.
The reason I enjoyed reading the poem you posted because it is "hella" your voice. I, out of most people, have known you for a long time and I know that you’re the type of person the rider represents. You don’t want people to talk to you if they don’t like you, but if they do you welcome them. You have also told me that your only danger while driving is other drivers. When you’re intrigued or learning you don’t stop until you’re done. You go beyond and explore. Tight poem, find another one.
- Noel

Laura said...

Hey Stooby!
OH MY GOODNESS!!!! like i really like this poem or essay or whatever it is because i can really picture you saying this or writing this. i know i don't know you as deeply as other people but from what i do know about you, i can definitely hear you in this writing. as i was reading it, i thought that it was your writing, it wasn't until i got to the end that i realized that it was someone else who wrote this.
this is such an amazing piece to have on your page, and it oh so definitely relates to you!

Laura

oh yeah i also totally agree with what Noel said!